With Canada gearing up for its biggest birthday bash in the past 50 years, Canadians, both at home and abroad, are preparing to celebrate the 150th anniversary of Confederation this weekend.
While we’ll leave you locals to figure out what’s happening in your own backyard on July 1, we will check in with Cheapflights.ca, which has kindly compiled a Top 5 list of hot spots around the globe where Canucks are being invited to break out the back bacon, Molson tall boys and their Sir John Eh T shirts to celebrate the very essence of being Canadian.
Says Cheapflights: “In Europe, you’ll find the Maple Leaf flying high in Berlin and London, where Canada Day festivities include essentials like poutine, Canadian beer and street hockey games in Trafalgar Square. Down under in Australia and across Asia, in Taipei, Beijing and Singapore, Canada Day events will start the partying early, kicking off a round-the-world celebration that includes dozens of events all over the U.S. and the UK, in addition to our own homegrown festivities.”
- Dubai, UAE – At the Dubai outpost of Toronto’s Weslodge Saloon, a Canada Day celebration will run from 6 p.m. to 3 a.m. and will include several events and activities to help participants feel like they’re at home. A hot dog station, special poutine menu (which includes a decadent lobster poutine) and maple taffy snow station are highlights. There will also be Canada 150-themed beverages on offer and prizes for the most patriotically dressed.
- Sydney, Australia – Celebrate Canada’s 150th in Sydney with a winter wonderland-themed birthday bash. The Greenwood Hotel at North Sydney Station will play host to a variety of Canada-inspired events, which includes bringing in a whopping 50 tons of snow. There will also be Caesars, real poutine, Canadian beer, a street hockey tournament, DJs, games and prizes. Guests will also have the chance to win a trip for two to Canada thanks to Air Canada.
- Los Angeles, Ca. – Canadians Abroad of Southern California, in partnership with the Consulate General of Canada, will be throwing a birthday celebration for Canada at the Hard Rock Café on Hollywood Boulevard in Los Angeles. Canada’s very own Maestro Fresh Wes will be performing, a DJ will be spinning the latest hits and there will be food and drink specials all night including, of course, Canadian beer and Caesars. The event is family friendly and kids under five get in free.
- Berlin, Germany – A party at the grounds of Berlin’s BRLO Brewhouse will kick off at noon and will feature a range of Canadian culinary specialties, including authentic poutine, along with Canadian craft beer, Maple leaf cake baking for kids, a DJ, stand-up comedy, a raffle and a performance by Toronto-based band Hidden Cameras.
- Taipei, Taiwan – Celebration Canada is the largest foreign national day celebration in Taiwan, and this year’s bash celebrating Canada’s 150th will take place at Hakka Cultural Park in Taipei. The festivities come courtesy of the Canadian Chamber of Commerce in Taiwan and will be a day-long, free festival featuring live Canadian and Taiwanese musicians and bands, a hockey booth, activities for kids including face painting and temporary Canada-themed tattoos, poutine, Canadian beer, wine and spirits and, of course, Caesars. The festivities end with a fireworks show at 9 p.m.
If you or your clients won’t be in any of those spots this July 1, Canada 150 celebrations can also be found in New York City; Singapore; London; Fukuoka, Japan; and Bermuda.
Canada Day deals
Meanwhile, a host of Canadian suppliers are celebrating the nation’s birthday/anniversary with Canada Day specials. Here are a few:
- The Globus family of brands: $150 off per person from 2017 Globus, Cosmos, Monograms and Avalon Waterways tours booked from June 28 to July 11.
- Air Transat is inviting Canadians to fly for less during its Canada Day sale with deals on more than 60 destinations in Europe, the South, Florida and Canada. Offers on flights and packages are available for bookings made by July 3 for travel dates between Aug. 1 and Nov. 30, 2017.
- The InterContinental Toronto Centre is marking Canada’s sesquicentennial with a full month of anniversary promotions at the hotel, Azure Restaurant & Bar and Spa InterContinental. The 150 Package includes: overnight accommodation in a feature guestroom, valet parking, late checkout, a Canadian inspired welcome amenity valued at $150 including Canadian Maple Syrup, chocolates, chocolate pecan and dried fruit bark, macaroons and a Peller Estates Riesling Ice Wine; two Roots Canada 150 baseball caps; $150 voucher for Azure Restaurant & Bar, a $150 voucher for SPA InterContinental; $150 gas card; iconic Hudson’s Bay scarlet point blanket. The 150 Package is available during July starting at $1,150 per night; reservations must be made three days in advance.