Airline launches major new marketing campaign May 20
Today's official debut of a new brand campaign and the arrival of Air Canada's new Boeing 787 Dreamliner usher in a new era for the nation's airline.
In 2009, Air Canada declared its ambition to become a true global carrier, competing against the world's best airlines. Five years later, several key elements of that strategy are now in place, including:
* The introduction of a new Premium Economy service for International travel, creating a new and affordable option for comfort on long haul flights
* Achievement of the prestigious 4 star rating from Skytrax (the only International network carrier in North America to have achieved this), as well as being named Best Airline in North America four years in a row
* The delivery of the first of 37 Boeing 787 Dreamliners, complete with a fully redesigned and modern cabin interior that represents an exciting new standard of product for International travel
* A fleet renewal strategy that includes refurbishment of widebody aircraft and a major order of Boeing 737 MAX aircraft to renew the narrowbody fleet beginning in 2017
* The expansion of its international network, with new services launched to Geneva, Brussels, Athens, Barcelona, Istanbul, Nice, Lisbon, Edinburgh, Manchester, Milan and Rio, in addition to significant increases in service to the United States and Asia
"Given the evolution of our business strategy, the time is right for us to adopt a more global brand positioning," said Craig Landry, Vice President, Marketing at Air Canada. "Air Canada successfully competes every day with the best airlines in the world, and we wanted a creative brand platform that would help elevate our brand and reflect our aspirations."
Your World Awaits
The breaking campaign, by JWT Canada, Air Canada's new AOR appointed in September, connects the evolution of Air Canada's product and service strategy with an ongoing commitment to deliver the world class travel experience today's traveller expects. It also builds on a key insight from consumers that the richness of their experiences when they travel becomes a part of them and forms a part of who they are.
The work launches a new tagline, "Your world awaits." which serves as an invitation to the Air Canada experience and celebrates the sense of curiosity and pursuit of excellence that the airline shares with today's global traveller. "It's a new voice, tone and manner for Air Canada, yes, but is also about listening to our customers," says Selma Filali, Director Marketing Communications at Air Canada. "For us, it's about reflecting our commitment to meet the highest expectations that will help the globally minded traveller make the most of the experiences ahead of them," Filali explains.
A fresh, sophisticated photographic look, a premium and global sensibility, and a more provocative tone of voice support the invitation to the enriching experience that the tagline evokes.
"Today's traveller lives life on a global scale. They seek experiences that turn every journey into an opportunity to do more, be better and to go farther on a more personal level," says Susan KimKirkland, JWT's CEO. "Air Canada knows that they expect more from airlines and they are focused on improving the flight experience for their customers. This campaign is in direct response to what the traveller is telling us - Travel isn't an escape anymore, it's an entrance."
"We are so excited to show Canadians, and the world at large, that we are proud to be the airline that connects people to the amazing world that awaits us all every day," adds Filali.
The integrated campaign debuts across the country today in both languages with an innovative media strategy that includes:
* high impact newspaper insertions in major dailies
* targeted airport engagement
* out of home (OOH) media such as billboards and commuter station takeovers
* deep paid as well as owned digital presence
* curated content and social media overlay
The new campaign will also be supported in broadcast TV set to launch nationally in July.